Sunday, March 07, 2010

Grandma's Rolls

At my family's Thanksgiving and Christmas get together's, you will want to eat a minimum of 10 rolls. They are DELISH! I realized the other day that I am a big girl now and can make the rolls whenever I want.....except that I need the recipe. I called my grandma and asked for the coveted recipe, so now I am going to share with you! Your welcome. :)

Easy Grandma's Rolls

1 pkg yeast (or 1 tbsp)
1/4 C shortening (NOT butter or margarine!!)
1 tsp salt
1 C milk
1/4 C sugar
3 1/2 C flour
1 egg, well beaten

Soften yeast in 1/4 C warm water. (I wasn't sure how to "soften" yeast, so I just dissolved it like I normally would do for bread.) Put shortening, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Scald milk, pour over shortening, sugar and salt and stir until shortening is melted. Cool until lukewarm. Add 2 C flour and beat 1 minute at medium speed; add softened yeast and the beaten egg. Beat batter smooth at medium speed for 1/2 minute. With a WOODEN spoon, stir in 1 1/2 C more flour and beat batter for 2 minutes until smooth.
Cover and let rise until double (about one hour).

Then stir down and beat thoroughly with a wooden spoon. Let rise again until double in bulk (about 30 minutes). Stir down and shape into rolls of your choice.
(In my family, it's a tradition do always do these kind-with the three sides to make it easy to pull apart.)

But, just know, if you are going to do these this way (which I totally recommend), make SURE you have extra Crisco ready. It will help tons when rolling the dough into balls.

Place on sheet (or in muffin tins) and let rise again until they are the size that you want.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes (ovens do vary, so watch carefully). When they start to brown on top, they will be done all the way through.

I know that you are asking why these are so special since they are so super easy (like everything I make...), but seriously...you HAVE to try them at least once. You'll never be satisfied with store-bought rolls again. :) Enjoy!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails