Monday, September 28, 2009

Food Storage Bread

If you've got this...

...And want this
Make sure you got a lot of this... 


Okay it isn't really that bad!
I made my first, totally from scratch whole wheat bread today and it was fun!
I need to learn some great recipes to learn how to use my food storage wheat and my sister makes yummo wheat bread so this is her recipe :)
It would have been even GREATER if she would have written this post but WHATEVA!

First step: take a couple of hours and find your cell phone so you can get the recipe from your sister...
Second Step: proof your yeast to see if "IT'S ALIVE" ahhh!
I just put it in 1/4 cup warm water and a pinch of sugar and...
...um yeah - it's definitely alive! it like octopled in size :)

Third Step: convince hubby to help you grind the wheat...
My KSL beauty
 
I have never even watched someone do this - I don't know why, my parents have always had a wheat grinder and both of sisters have one, but I have been ignorantly blissful... Until today, dundundun.
Hubby helped a ton, after a grumble about it being used (grumblegrumblecheapskatewife) he fiddled with the switches and gadgets and buttons and got the baby going!!!
The wheat kernels went in the top and the flour came out the bottom... easy-peasy!


It was really exciting, and I KNOW hubby would deny it, but I think he had fun too!
Bonding and breadmaking!

Final Step: The rest is gravy baby - just follow the recipe!
and steps 1-3 are optional!

4 1/2 cups Hard Wheat (freshly ground)
1 1/2 Tbs Yeast
mix together
3 cups warm water
mix in kitchen aid
Cover and let rise 15 minutes

Add
1 Tbs Salt
1/3 cup honey
1 1/4 Tbs Dough Enhancer
1/4 cup oil (or applesauce)
1 Tbs Gluten
Mix together
2 - 3 cups wheat flour
added 1 cup at a time until desired consistency
mix for 5 minutes

put in bread pans and let rise for 20 minutes in a cool oven with boiling water steam bath
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes

I got my gluten and dough enhancer at Kitchen Kneads and I had the yeast from forever ago in a little packet and it was still good - so I am thinking individual packets are great for long term storage of yeast???
I don't really know.

I tried to be all prepared but I actually didn't have bread pans so I sort of shaped them into loaves and set them side by side in a cake pan (that is why they are on the squatty side!)  They may not be the prettiest loaves but I am bursting with pride for them!
oh why not - lets see that picture of them again:
Oh cute!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails