Thursday, October 01, 2009

German Pancakes

Alright...since my sister STOLE my whole wheat bread post (which I totally deserved because I wasn't on the ball and it needed to be blogged about...
and she did a way better job on the post that I could have...
and her first attempt at bread looked a whole lot better than mine did...
sigh

I let mine raise too much and it fell a bit in the oven...
but aren't those hamburger buns just so cute!!)


I decided to get with it and post our new favorite ALTON BROWN recipe...
German Pancakes.

Ooh, doesn't that look good!!! It was. I had it for breakfast. My cute hubby made it. Jealous???

Ingredients

  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 cup milk, warmed
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable shortening
  • Confectioners' sugar
  • Marinated Berries or Glazed Apples and Pears, recipes follow
  • Serving suggestion: Maple syrup

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, sugar, milk, vanilla, and butter. Whisk in the flour to make a smooth batter. Set aside.
Heat a well-seasoned 10-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and brush the inside with the shortening. Pour in the batter and bake for 15 minutes.
Lower the oven to 350 degrees F. and continue baking until puffed and golden brown, about 13 to 15 minutes more. Run a knife around the edge of the skillet. We love the food network because even in a small kitchen...
You can make something like this... YUM

Top it with butter, maple syrup, and powdered sugar. Or for a healthier side, top with berries, or applesauce.
Even the kiddies will love it.

Going



Going




Gone!




It think there's one piece left. Anyone want to come over. Better hurry!!

1 comment:

Erin said...

I ♥ Alton Brown!
That looks really yummy, AND your hubby made it!! I am jealous! but my hot cocoa and homemade bread is sitting warm and settled in my tummy right now so I am not too bad off!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails